Tuesday, June 14, 2011

An Introduction of Sorts and a Gameboy Calculator

Having found myself with vast amounts of extra time since I graduated highschool last week, I decided to set up this blog to display the products of my electrical engineering studies at home. I'm really not that productive so postings may or may not be sparse after these initial few which will sum up some of my highschool creations and mods. My name is Cameron Blocker and I'm a student enrolled at Brigham Young University with a major in electrical engineering.

I thought I would start with my Gameboy Calculator since it turned out to be my claim to fame of sorts throughout highschool. The idea came and design and construction were done during my freshmen year. Prototyping and completion were done in my sophmore algebra II class. I beleive I had time to get 6 badges in pokemon leaf green by the time that class was over.

Although many people found it impressive, there are hardly any electronics concepts involved in the build. Just soldering and rewiring (and cramming and taping). Input pins on the gameboy circuit board are active low so I just had to rewire the buttons on the calculator's circuit board so they pull the gameboy's test points to ground when pushed. I neglected to mention that it in no way functions like a calculator. Anyting that the gameboy didn't need was dremelled off to make room for the additional circuitry. And even with that done, it was still a very tight fit.
As can be seen in the first picture, it has started to wear away some from the years of use. There's even a button missing that I put a gasket in place of. It still works to this day but now it sits on my shelf without a purpose anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment